Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Compartment Syndrome Surgery - not for the faint hearted

So I realize we have much to blog about since our ski trip such as:
- Perri's 2nd Bday
- Mulitiple Snow Storms
-Upcoming Adventures
-Time with family and friends

But I am choosing to be selfish to write about my recent surgery on both of my legs. I have been suffering chronic lower leg pain for quite some time, but finding the right doctor to listen and not tell me to just rest has been difficult. However, I pushed alittle harder because it had got the the point I could not walk up the stairs or drive my car right away after walking into and from work to/from parking lot.
I finally had answers - Compartment Syndrome not overly common in non-burn patients or non-trauma patients but it does happen. I could either have surgery right away or wait until basically after the major league baseball season because he is now head orthopedic MD for the KC Royals. I opted for surgery right way without setting up anytime off, family support or even asking Travis if that date worked.
I was thinking lets get it done, summer is coming up, and maybe I can start actually running again. Plus, he said I could be 100% wt. bearing that day if I could tolerate the pain.
So let's talk about the pain. . . . I really thought, oh, I had a c-section and that wasn't that bad, surgery on a Wednesday, I can easily be back to work Thursday afternoon if not Friday at the very latest.
Boy was I wrong! Thanks goodness for my wonderful friend Laren who took the whole day to be me with, take care of me, and get me to and from the hospital. I have no idea what I would of done without her!!!!
So 4 incisions on each leg all about 2inches long and now almost a week later I can actually smile while I type about this situation. What in the H___ was I thinking that this really would be a piece of cake, idiot I was for sure. So besides not being able to get around the huge KU hospital very well and major swelling problems it seems like I am making a turn for the better and hope this will all be worth it in the long run.
I just wanted to tell everyone thankyou for all the well-wishes, meals, phone calls, text messages, offer to bring stuff, help with Perri, etc. that we have appreciated it all. Next time I will plan better if our family has to go thru such a thing.
I have posted some pictures, really so I can remember what my legs look like, but thought somebody might want to see too:) Don't go down any farther if it might gross you out.


So this shows the 2+ pitting edema in my legs and that all the blood pooled to my legs and makes it look like my feet are all bruised.



So I promise more blogging to come and if we don't get something up about Perri's bday with pictures by this weekend - email

No comments:

Post a Comment